Border protection and Development Department is aimed to provide all round development in the remotest border areas of the state by creating infrastructural facilities and bring the whole area to the level of all other developed urban areas of the state with all physical amenities and to instill a sense of security to the lives and properties of the Border population.
The sealing of the Indo-Bangladesh border is the topmost priority for making Assam free from illegal migrants from across the Bangladesh border, for which purpose the border is being fenced by physical and non-physical barriers. The Indo-Bangladesh International Border is under the vigil of BSF while Indo-Bhutan International border is manned by SSB. A Second Line of Defence is being provided by Assam Police.
Along the Indo-Bhutan International border, a border road from Jamduar in Kokrajhar to Shikaridanga in Udalguri is being constructed. This road is highly important from strategic and security point of view.
The other aim of our Department is the Development of Infrastructure and provision of basic minimum services to the population of the border areas of the state by way of:-
- Preparation and finalization of schemes for Inter-state and International Border Areas as per state plan and BADP.
- Holding State Level Screening Committee meeting.
- Quarterly review meeting with Implementing Agencies of Border Areas Schemes.
- Attending meeting with Govt. of India regarding infrastructure development of Border Areas and Inter- State Border disputes.
- Liaison with various Departments for settlement of Border disputes and developing border areas.
- Maintaining close liaison with Ministry of Home Affairs for fund and placing of proposal and approval thereof.
- Submission of Utilization Certificate against the fund released by Govt. of India.
- Preparation and finalization of Annual Action Plan.
- Preparation of Management Information System (MIS) for Border Areas taking International border blocks as specific unit/e-governance.
- Preparation of Perspective plan, comprehensive plan for international border areas only.
- Defending the Department in Court Cases.
- Preparation of materials, evidence, arguments along with legal experts with regard to Original Suits in respect of Assam-Nagaland & Assam-Arunachal Pradesh boundary dispute in the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India.
- Preparation of maps of bordering districts of both inter-state and international boundaries are being carried out through Survey of Assam.
- Maintenance of records.
- Amicable resolution of Inter-State issues are taken up.
- Plans to meet various developmental needs of people living in remote and inaccessible areas situated near the border.
- Promoting a sense of security amongst the inhabitants of the border within a radius of 0 to 10 Km of its constitutional boundary.